Lesson 3 ★
1. The scientist devoted all his time to research.
※ devote・・・give all or most of one’s time or resources to (a person or activity).
2. There is little, if any, hope of his recovery.
🔵 I will contact you if any problems arise.
🔴 Please let me know if any issues come up.
🔵 Correct errors, if any, in the following sentences.
3. Not only he but (also) I am to blame for it.
🔵 You’re not responsible (to blame) for it.
🔴 I’m not to blame for this.
🔵 The children were not to blame for the accident.
4. What was it like to live and work with people of all those nationalities?
🔵 What is he like?
🔴 What is it like working at headquarters?
🔵 What is your new apartment like?
5. He wishes he had gone to the concert last night.
🔵 I wish I had been there. (= I wanted to go there, but I couldn’t.)
🔴 I wish I had seen Michael Jackson.
🔵 I wish I had bought it.
6. A leather jacket should last for years if it’s properly looked after.
※ last・・・continue for a specified period of time.
7. My flight was three hours late; otherwise I could have done some sightseeing of the city.
🔵 I had a high fever; otherwise I could have gone camping.
🔴 I ran all the way; otherwise I couldn’t have caught the train.
8. She is now on very good terms with him.
🔵 They are on bad terms with each other.
🔴 You should keep on terms with people.
🔵 I’ve been on good terms with my father lately.
9. We must do away with violence.
🔵 We should do away with this old custom.
🔴 If only we could get rid of ［do away with］the smog in China.
🔵 My wife told me to do away with this old shoes.
10. Philosophy is not so difficult a subject as you imagine it is.
so difficult a subject = such a difficult subject
A: Ken, can you drive Jane and I to the doctor on Tuesday?
B: I think so.
A: We need a ride very badly, are you sure you will be able to help out?
B: Sure. I will mark it on my calendar so I don’t forget.
A: Thanks you are a good friend.
B: You can always count on me when you need help.
《 Books 》
🔴 How often do you read books?
I read books almost every night before I go to bed.
🔵 What’s your favorite type of book?
I love reading about different cultures.
🔴 What can you learn from books?
Books can broaden my horizon about thousands of things around the world, and books are also my best friends.
🔵 Where do you read books?
🔴 What is the most interesting book you have ever read?
🔵 How long does it take you to finish a book?
🔴 Do you usually bring books with you when you travel?
今回のレッスンは参考になりましたか? 様々な英語の表現方法を自分なりに応用して、しっかりと身につけていってくださいねっ ☺️